Born during an in-home prayer meeting, Osage Hills Christian Church has grown into an active and dynamic church, whose influence reaches ”around the world” as well as “down the street.”
After forming in February of 1956, the new congregation soon outgrew several temporary meeting places, including basements, Owen Park Recreation Center and the Pershing Elementary School auditorium.
The church first gathered at its present location 4500 W. Edison, in Tulsa on Easter Sunday, 1957. Al Karges and wife Carolyn led the new congregation with more than 100 additions and Bible School grew to an average attendance of over 200 in the first year.
Kenneth and Peggy Martin came to serve in 1960. Their ministry was highlighted by steady growth. A local bus ministry and outreach program was begun and spurred additions.
A strong world-mission emphasis was added to the church’s work during the leadership of Delmar and Eileen Debault. Osage Hills was instrumental in the foundation of Mid-India Christian Mission through the work of Mrs. Mary Bonawit. Local growth was highlighted by the completion of sanctuary building.
Over the years, OHCC has completed four different building projects to accommodate growth and improve facilities, including a major renovation after the 1984 flood, which totally destroyed the existing structures.
Steve and Cathy Johnson began their ministry at OHCC in June of 1977. Their 34-year ministry to the children and youth of the church has been highlighted by numerous tears, prayers, and accomplishments as well changed lives of young people around the world.
Bill and Carol Hicks ministered after the Debaults and were followed by Dean and Elaine Kinser.
Hershel and Lynett Martin arrived in Tulsa and began serving at Osage Hills in 1978. The Martin’s ongoing ministry has been responsible for increased attendance and membership, growing ministries and the addition of facilities and a second worship service.
In 2003, the Church planned, financed and built the 15,000 square foot Multi-Purpose facility which includes 7 classrooms, a full-size basketball court, volleyball court and recreational areas as well as a full kitchen.
In recent years, the church has launched a renewed children's ministry, under the direction of Nathan Woodmansee. He and wife, Christina, began to serve the Church in 2010. The program is currently reaching out to children, ages birth-5th grade, to provide them with the knowledge of God’s love and his place in their lives.