We just completed a series on Deconstruction as a church, and a lot of research was done in preparation. I thought I would share with you some of the articles, books, videos, and podcasts I used. Not all of these hold traditionally Christian views and some videos are of those who have deconstructed their faith. As I mentioned in the series, we begin with Scripture and want to maintain its authority as our foundation, which by definition means we are not looking to deconstruct our faith, but restore faith to a more biblical understanding and practice. As always, if you have any questions, please connect with me or leave a comment below and lets start a discussion.
Articles and Books
Heads up! Not all of these articles are ones I agree with personally, but used for additional research and to view more positions on the topics we covered. Read with caution and feel free to contact me with questions.
Five Real Reasons Young People Are Deconstructing Their Faith by Carey Nieuwhof
The Woman’s Curse: A Redemptive Reading of Genesis 3:16
Paul, the Goddess Religions, and Queer Sects: Romans 1:23-28
Another Gospel?: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity
Straight White Male: A Faith-Based Guide to Deconstructing Your Privilege and Living with Integrity
Is God anti-gay? (Questions Christians Ask)
Commentaries and Biblical Resources
These are some that I used for the Sexuality and Purity Culture message. Most of these resources are from the Logos library. Most of the other biblical resources unlisted here were also from Logos.
- Arndt, William, Frederick W. Danker, Walter Bauer, and F. Wilbur Gingrich. 2000. In A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Cottrell, Jack. 1996. Romans. Vol. 1. The College Press NIV Commentary. Joplin, MO: College Press Pub. Co.
- Lange, John Peter, Philip Schaff, Tayler Lewis, and A. Gosman. 2008. A Commentary on the Holy Scriptures: Genesis. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.
- Mangum, Douglas, ed. 2020. Lexham Context Commentary: Old Testament. Lexham Context Commentary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.
- O’Donnell, Douglas Sean. 2013. Matthew: All Authority in Heaven and on Earth. Edited by R. Kent Hughes. Preaching the Word. Wheaton, IL: Crossway.
- Schreiner, Thomas R. 1998. Romans. Vol. 6. Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
- Spicq, Ceslas, and James D. Ernest. 1994. In Theological Lexicon of the New Testament. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers.
- Walvoord, John F., and Roy B. Zuck, Dallas Theological Seminary. 1985. The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
News Coverage, Deconstruction Stories, and Responses
This section comes with a warning. Some deconstruction stories are for adult audiences and may contain offensive language or suggestive material.
Deconstructing My Religion by CBS Religion
Alisa Childers Doesn’t Get Progressive Christianity | God is Grey : this video is fascinating. She is quite an influence in progressive Christian thought and shares an additional story on how she was literally “canceled by the exvangelical movement” (her words). That video can also be found on YouTube but I did not find it extremely helpful. But it does demonstrate that even among more “welcoming” movements, there’s a limit or type of oppression upon those within the community, which also proves that neither position is as inclusive as they claim.
How My Christian Faith Fell Apart
Link’s Spiritual Deconstruction
Rhett’s Spiritual Deconstruction
Dating Our Wives in Purity Culture
Christian Responses and Apologetics
Cooper Stuff: Ep. 110 – 5 Reasons People are Deconstructing. A Response.
Should Christians Deconstruct their Faith?
Enemies Within Christianity | The Deconstruction Movement and Exvangelicals
What’s With All The Deconstruction Stories? With Sean McDowell
David Crowder, Faith Leaders Share Experiences to Help Church Face Deconstruction Movement
Before You Lose Your Faith: Deconstructing Doubt in the Church | TGC Podcast
How to Talk to Progressive Christians (Part 1)
Cultish: Deconstruction: Understanding the “Ex-Evangelical” Movement with Alisa Childers
Bible Scholars and Sermons
Spiritual & Sexual “About Sex” Tim Mackie
The Depth of the Gospel – Sermons – Matt Chandler
From Progressive Christianity to the Gospel: Discipleship in a Culture of Deconstruction
Everything You Need to Know About the Evangelical Deconstruction Project, with Neil Shenvi
Is Deconstruction a New Culture Religion? with Tim Barnett
Side B Christianity and the Revoice Conference, with Christopher Yuan
Biblical Sexuality? Will We Find Freedom in Christ or in Our Feelings? With Rosaria Butterfield
Leave A Comment